Strath Taieri Community Board



Minutes of an ordinary meeting of the Strath Taieri Community Board held in the Lee Stream Community Hall, Lee Stream on Thursday 02 February 2017, commencing at 5.03 pm





Barry Williams


Deputy Chairperson

Joan Wilson



Bevan Dowling

Norma Emerson


David Frew

Cr Christine Garey


Jacinta Stevenson





Kristy Rusher (Manager Civic and Legal)


Governance Support Officer      Kristy Rusher



1       Public Forum

There was no Public Forum.   


2       Apologies

There were no apologies.


3       Confirmation of agenda



Moved (Barry Williams/Joan Wilson):

That the Board:


Confirms the agenda without addition or alteration


Motion carried (STCB/2017/001)


4       Declarations of interest

Members were reminded of the need to stand aside from decision-making when a conflict arose between their role as an elected representative and any private or other external interest they might have.







Moved (Jacinta Stevenson/Norma Emerson):

That the Board:


a)     Amends the Elected Members' Interest Register attached as Attachment A;

b)     Amends the proposed management plan for Elected Members' Interests.

 Motion carried (STCB/2017/002)

5       Confirmation of Minutes

5.1    Strath Taieri Community Board meeting - 10 November 2016


Moved (Bevan Dowling/David (Jock) Frew):

That the Board:


Confirms the public part of the minutes of the Strath Taieri Community Board meeting held on 10 November 2016 as a correct record.


Motion carried (STCB/2017/003)

Part A Reports

6       Keep Dunedin Beautiful Update


Ms Stevenson provided an update on the activities of Keep Dunedin Beautiful.  She advised that there was funding available to develop a mural in Middlemarch.  The meetings are being held on the 1 Monday of each month, items discussed at the last meeting included clean up days, community food gardens and artistic pedestrian crossings.  The next meeting was scheduled for Monday the 13 of February due to the public holiday falling on the 6 of February 2017.


7       Governance Support Officer's Report


The report informed the Strath Taieri Community Board on activities relevant to the Board area including:

a)     Project Fund

b)     Draft Dunedin Destination Plan

c)     2017 Community Plan Conference

d)     Training for Community Board Chairs

        e)     Proposed Reserves and Beaches Bylaw

        f)     Middlemarch Hall Heating

g)     Correspondence

h)     Action List

It was agreed that the Board would decide who would attend the Community Board Conference at the next meeting.  The Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson advised that they were not available to attend the Local Government New Zealand training day on 11 March.

The Deputy Chairperson advised that they would respond to the correspondence from the Middlemarch Promotions Group by telephone call.

Board members discussed the correspondence from the local resident concerning dog walking.


Moved (Joan Wilson/David (Jock) Frew):

That the Board:


a)     Notes the Governance Support Officer's Report.

b)     Amends the Action List to include the following actions:

        (i)   Council staff to advise on defibrillator cupboard doors in use by Council

        (ii)  Governance Support Officer to follow up on newspaper advertising of   road works occurring in the board area

        (iii) Governance Support Officer to update Board Chairperson on installation of the Middlemarch Hall heating before the next meeting.

        (iv)   Governance Support Officer requested to ask Animal Control for an  additional dog bag dispenser for Browns Road.

Motion carried (STCB/2017/004)


8       Chairperson's Report


The Chairperson updated the Board on matters of interest including:



SH87 has a significant amount of gorse and broom growth, especially near Hyde and through to Outram.  The Chairperson will contact NZTA to get this matter resolved.



The Chairperson will arrange a meeting with Simon Underwood at the NZTA to advocate for improvements in the behaviour of cyclists, and to explore the benefits and costs of cycle registration.



The Chairperson commented on the Otago Rural Fire Association imposing fire bans and he advocated for sensible boundaries


9       Council Activities


Councillor Chris Garey updated the Board on matters of interest including the Annual Plan submission process.




10     Notification of Agenda Items for Consideration by Chair


There were no items notified.




The meeting concluded at 7.29 pm.