West Harbour Community Board

CONFIRMED MINUTES

 

Confirmed minutes of an ordinary meeting of the West Harbour Community Board held in the Rolfe Room, Port Chalmers Town Hall, Port Chalmers on Wednesday 04 October 2017, commencing at 5.30 pm

 

PRESENT

 

Chairperson

Steve Walker

 

Deputy Chairperson

Trevor Johnson

 

Members

Francisca Griffin

Cr Aaron Hawkins

 

Ryan Jones

Ange McErlane

 

Jan Tucker

 

 

 

IN ATTENDANCE

Graham McKerracher (Communications and Marketing Manager), David Miller (Group Manager Parks and Recreation) and Josh Von Pein (Transport Delivery Manager)

 

Governance Support Officer      Jennifer Lapham

 

 

 

1       Public Forum

1.1    Public Forum Alex McMillan

 

Dr Alex McMillan spoke to the Board regarding the West Harbour Cycleway.  Dr McMillan advised that she had a particular area of interest in transport and undertakes research on the changing urban environment. 

Dr McMillan commented on the safety of the off road cycleways and the maintenance of them.  She was also concerned that the crossing of State Highway 88 created safety issues and that there can't be a safe crossing area when the speed limit is 80km.   She also asked that the path be visible from the State Highway for the safety of users at night.

 

 

 

1.2    Public Forum - Mary McFarlane

 

Mary McFarlane commented on a number of issues relating to the harbour and the Port, including sea wall maintenance, vibration from trucks and noise issues.  She also raised the issue of a mitigation fund which was promised at the amalgamation of local bodies in 1989.

Ms McFarlane also suggested that the Sims building could be turned into a parking building behind the heritage façade.

 

2       Apologies

There were no apologies.

 

3       Confirmation of agenda

 

 

Moved (Steve Walker/Aaron Hawkins):

That the Board:

 

Confirms the agenda without addition or alteration

 

Motion carried (WHCB/2017/064)

 

4       Declarations of interest

Members were reminded of the need to stand aside from decision-making when a conflict arose between their role as an elected representative and any private or other external interest they might have.

 

 

 

Moved (Steve Walker/Aaron Hawkins):

That the Board:

 

a)     Notes the Elected Members' Interest Register attached as Attachment A; and

b)     Confirms the proposed management plan for Elected Members' Interests.

Motion carried (WHCB/2017/065)

 

5       Confirmation of Minutes

5.1    West Harbour Community Board meeting - 30 August 2017

 

Moved (Steve Walker/Jan Tucker):

That the Board:

 

Confirms the public part of the minutes of the West Harbour Community Board meeting held on 30 August 2017 as a correct record.

 

 Motion carried (WHCB/2017/066)

Part A Reports

6       NZTA - Shared Path update

 

Jason Forbes (NZTA) was in attendance to provide an update on the proposed shared path.  He advised that NZTA was committed to the path and a detailed Business Case had been written.  As a result it had shown that the cost was now over $20 million and the business case had to go out to an independent person to confirm the price. 

In response to a question Mr Forbes advised they are still negiotating with Kiwi Rail and the work cannot commence until they have signed a contract.

Mr Forbes advised that the Safe Road Alliance had been working with Fulton Hogan with a view to bringing some of the safety work forward and this should be completed early in the new year.

The Board expressed concern regarding the commencement of the safety barriers, as they had been promised this would not occur until work on the shared path had been completed.  it was agreed that the Chairperson and Cr Hawkins would meet with NZTA to discuss the issue.

 

 

 

7       Port Otago update

 

Kevin Winders (Chief Executive Port Otago) was in attendance and introduced himself to the Board and responded to questions.  Mr Winders commented on the work programme that Port Otago was undertaking including the wharf extension. 

 

 

8       Introduction to the Group Manager Parks and Recreation

 

Dave Miller (Group Manager Parks and Recreation) introduced himself to the Board and responded to questions.  He also provided an update on some of the projects the Board was involved in.

 

 

 

9       Governance Support Officer's Report

 

In a report the Governance Support Officer provided an update on matters of interest including:

a)     Project Fund

b)     Action List

 

 

 

A discussion took place on the action list with a number of changes being made.

 

 

Moved (Steve Walker/Aaron Hawkins):

That the Board:

 

a)     Notes the report

Motion carried (WHCB/2017/067)

 

10     Board Representation and Areas of Responsibility

 

a)     Port Environment Liaison Committee

 

        Ange McErlane advised that the Committee had spent some time discussing the   wharf extension and the Flagstaff Hill project.

 

b)     Ravensdown Community Liaison Group

 

        Trevor Johnson advised that a meeting was coming up, and advised that the         Moller Memorial Project was progressing.

 

c)     Keep Dunedin Beautiful

 

Steve Walker advised that the group was excited about the mural project in Port Chalmers.

 

d)     Communications/Facebook

 

        Ryan Jones advised that the page had almost 500 follows. 

 

e)     State Highway 88 Liaison Group

 

Cr Hawkins advised that a meeting had not yet been held.

 

f)     Funding Applications Report Back

 

        Francisca Griffin advised that she had not received any report back forms.

 

g)     West Harbour Beautification Trust

 

        The Chairperson advised that $10,000 had been received to  help develop a         strategic and operational plan for sycamore removal.

 

h)     Policing Issues

 

        Jan Tucker advised that she had met with the local police officer and he had         commented that there hadn't been any problems during the Seafood Festival.

 

i)      Vision Port Chalmers

 

        Jan Tucker advised that the group was currently investigating the possibility of getting banners to put up in the main street, and it had been suggested that a Christmas tree should be put up.

 

 

 

11     Chairperson's Report

 

The Chairperson provided an update on matters of interest

a)     Response to Public Forum at 30 August meeting

·      Careys Bay issues raised by Ms Nicolau – it was noted that Ms Nicolau was in contact with Port Otago and this would be the best way to work through her issues.

·      Walking Tracks raised by Mr Jim McQuillan – the establishment of walking tracks was not within the remit of the Board, but the Board suggested that Mr McQuillan contact other groups or DOC.  Trevor Johnson will continue to laisie with Mr McQuillan re access to Gearys Rock.

·      Sea Walls raised by Mr Gordon Tocher – the Group Manager Transport has advised that it was intended to hold a public meeting next year to discuss the issue and identify ways to resolve the issue. 

·      Drainage issues at Aramoana raised by John Davies and Vicki Wilson – this matter was being resolved by the Council and the Aramoana League were happy with progress.

b)     Civil Defence Update – a representative would come and update the Board

 

c)     Port Noise Meeting – was covered earlier in the meeting

 

d)     DOC meetings – The Chairperson was chairing a meeting between DOC, Aramoana League and the Conservation Group to discuss a number of issues including beach access.

 

e)     Community Board Executive Committee – The Chairperson and Ryan Jones  attended this meeting.

 

f)     Community Plan – the Chairperson will set a date for the workshop that suits members.

 

g)     Planting has been carried out in Port Chalmers and the gratings cleared, any pots  without plants in them will be replanted.

 

h)     Service Awards – the Chairperson presented Jan Tucker and Trevor Johnson long service awards and also the Award for Leadership relating to the successful sycamore removal programme which was given to the Board at the Community Board Conference.

 

 

Moved (Steve Walker/Aaron Hawkins):

That the Board:

 

a)     Notes the Chairperson's Report.

Motion carried (WHCB/2017/068)

 

12     Council Activities

 

Cr Hawkins provided an update on matters of interest including the 2GP, Easter Trading Bylaw Review, South Dunedin Community Hub, Annual Reports for Council Controlled Organisations and he noted the Long Term Plan is now called a 10 year plan.

 

13     Notification of Items for Consideration by the Chairperson

 

The Board should acknowledge the Rotary Club of Dunedin's work on the walkway.

 

 

 

 

             

 

The meeting concluded at 7.11 pm.

 

 

 

 

..............................................

C H A I R P E R S O N