West Harbour Community Board



Confirmed minutes of an ordinary meeting of the West Harbour Community Board held in the Rolfe Room, Port Chalmers Town Hall, Port Chalmers on Wednesday 14 March 2018, commencing at 5.30 pm.





Steve Walker


Deputy Chairperson

Trevor Johnson



Francisca Griffin

Cr Aaron Hawkins


Ryan Jones

Ange McErlane


Jan Tucker





Graham McKerracher (Communications and Marketing Manager), Bernie Hawke (Library Services Manager) and Ainslie Heather (Community Librarian – Port Chalmers),


Governance Support Officer      Jennifer Lapham




1       Public Forum

1.1    Hemi Tamati – Skate Board Park


Esther and Hemi Tamati spoke to the Board regarding the development of a skateboard park in Port Chalmers. 


In response to a question Ms Tamati advised that the current site, at the bottom of George Street, was not that safe, and they were open to looking at other areas.  She advised that they would be prepared to fund raise for the park.


Hemi Tamati commented that as a starting point a simple halfpipe would be suitable and then the community could develop plans to continue.


They are seeking the support of the Board and some adults to assist with the project. 


A petition consisting of a 100 signatures was tabled.


1.2    Mike Broughton - Dunedin Dark Skies Group


Mike Broughton, Dunedin Dark Skies Group spoke to the Board regarding Dunedin being a Dark Skies City.  He commented on the street lights on the State Highway, which are funded by NZTA.  He advised that the lights were not suitable for a Dark Skies city.    

He asked that the Board make a submission to the City Council supporting the concept of the Dark Sky and also to NZTA to encourage them to implement the guidelines for a Dark Sky City.

1.3   Stu Debenham – Roading Issues

Mr Debenham spoke to the Board regarding State Highway 88 and advised it was an extremely dangerous road.  He said as a result of road works near Ravensbourne the man hole covers were no longer in line with the road surface and were creating major issues for vehicles using the road.

He also commented that the strapping of a load on a truck was causing concern as  they had to have 3 chains on a trailer but did not have any forward restraint stopping the load from slipping forward. 

Mr Debenham also asked for a roundabout at the intersection of Beach Street, Grey Street and Mount Street. 


2       Apologies

There were no apologies.


3       Confirmation of agenda



Moved (Steve Walker/Trevor Johnson):

That the Board:


Confirms the agenda without addition or alteration.


Motion carried (WHCB/2018/010)



4       Declarations of interest

Members were reminded of the need to stand aside from decision-making when a conflict arose between their role as an elected representative and any private or other external interest they might have.


There were no declarations made.



Moved (Steve Walker/Trevor Johnson):

That the Board:


a)     Notes the Elected Members' Interest Register; and

b)     Confirms the proposed management plan for Elected Members' Interests.

Motion carried (WHCB/2018/011)


5       Confirmation of Minutes

5.1    West Harbour Community Board meeting - 7 February 2018


Moved (Steve Walker/Trevor Johnson):

That the Board:


Confirms the minutes of the West Harbour Community Board meeting held on 7 February 2018 as a correct record.


 Motion carried (WHCB/2018/012)

Part A Reports

6       Library Activity Report


A report from the Library Services Manager provided a summary of the activities of the Dunedin Public Libraries for the period 1 July 2017 to 31 January 2018, with a focus on services to the West Harbour community through the Port Chalmers Library and Service Centre.


Moved (Aaron Hawkins/Trevor Johnson):

That the Board:


a)     Notes the Library Activity Report

Motion carried (WHCB/2018/013)


7       Update on Predator Free Dunedin/Pest Control, Volunteer Programme, Ecological Contract and Tracks


The Biodiversity Officer and Volunteer Projects Facilitator were unable to attend the meeting.  




8       Governance Support Officers Report


In a report the Governance Support Officer, provided an update on the project fund and action list.


Moved (Steve Walker/Trevor Johnson):

That the Board:


a)     Notes the Governance Support Officers Report;

b)     Amends the Action List as appropriate.

Motion carried (WHCB/2018/014)


9       Board Representation and Areas of Responsibility


a)     Port Environment Liaison Committee


Ange McErlane advised that they had received a copy of the draft design for the    fishing wharf at Boiler Point, and in due course the design will be put out for public comment.


b)     Ravensdown Community Liaison Group


        Trevor Johnson advised that there was nothing to report.


c)     Keep Dunedin Beautiful


        Steve Walker thanked Rema Smith (Community Advisor) for his assistance while the Co-ordinator was away.  He advised that the Community Awards were being held on 21 May and tree planting would take place on Mothers' Day.


d)     Communications/Facebook


        Ryan Jones advised that the Facebook page had 550 likes and there had been a positive response to the Community Awards.


e)     State Highway 88 Liaison Group


        The group had not meet but a meeting would be held in the near future.


f)     Funding Applications Report Back


        Francisca Griffin advised that she had received a report back from the Heritage Festival and Samuel Gradwell.


g)     West Harbour Beautification Trust


       Steve Walker advised that they are still waiting for the commencement of stage 3 of the sycamore removal programme.  He was liaising with the Biodiversity Officer regarding this.


h)     Policing Issues


        Jan Tucker advised that there was nothing to report.


i)      Vision Port Chalmers


        In response to a question regarding the proposed new toilet the Chairperson advised that due to staff changes this had not been progressed but he was following it up.





10     Chairperson's Report


The Chairperson will provide an update on matters of interest including:

·       He had meet with Cr Hawkins and Council staff on site to discuss the future of the Sims building.  Council are looking at putting a temporary roof on the building and looking at options and costs for its future.

·      The Group Manager Transport and Gordon Tocher and himself had met onsite to discuss options to prevent the flooding of Aramoana Road.  He advised that the wall was being repaired at Waipuna Bay.

·      He had meet with Contract Manager (Gareth Jones) regarding the Borlases track.  It was suggested that the community could take this on as a project.  Francisca Griffin and Jan Tucker agreed to meet with Gareth to discuss options and lead the project.

·      Paul Allen from Civil Defence will be holding a meeting in Aramoana on 18 March to discuss Civil Defence in the area.

·      Ryan Jones advised that the Community Board Executive had changed the long service awards to a more quality award and the conference was being held in April 2019.  He advised that Cr Garey had resigned and Rachel Brown was appointed.

·      Ryan Jones also advised that he had attended the Senior Citizen's Association and had proposed a forum be held later in the year with Board members in attendance.





11     Council Activities





Cr Hawkins commented on 10 Year Plan Consultation, the Review of the Gambling & TAB Venues Policy, Local Alcohol Policy, Litter Bylaw and the Dunedin Destination Plan.





12     Notification of Items for Consideration by the Chairperson




Items notified by members were

·      Community Access Radio –Francisca Griffin

·      State Highway 88 maintenance – Request NZTA attend – Trevor Johnson

·      Developing a Community Board Pamphlet – Jan Tucker/Ange McErlane

·      Pride in Our Place – Jan Tucker

·      Development of Skateboard Park –The Chairperson will contact the submitters to discuss the project.







The meeting concluded at 7.15 pm .